Each year, IBC produces a list of the top 10 stolen vehicles in Canada. We broke down 2019’s Top 10 Stolen Vehicles for Ontario and provide some info on why criminals target certain vehicles and some useful tips on what you can do to protect yours. Some vehicles make the list year over year and some may surprise you, but whatever the case…
Stolen Vehicles Cost Everyone
Automobile theft is much more than an insurance problem; it’s an expensive social menace. Each year, automobile theft costs Canadians close to $1 billion, including $542 million for insurers to fix or replace stolen vehicles, $250 million in police, health care, and court system costs and millions more for correctional services.
Why Does a Criminal Target a Vehicle?
How often your make and model of vehicle is stolen is one of the factors insurers use to set your insurance premium. Thieves generally steal vehicles for one of four reasons:
- To sell abroad: Stolen vehicles are often immediately packed – with their vehicle identification numbers (VINs) still intact – and shipped abroad, where they are sold for many times their original market value.
- To sell to unsuspecting consumers: Stolen vehicles may be given a false VIN and then sold to unsuspecting consumers. They can also be dismantled and sold for parts.
- To get somewhere: This may be referred to as “joyriding.” Auto theft of any kind is a crime and innocent people may get hurt or killed as a result.
- To commit another crime: Stolen vehicles used to commit other crimes are often recovered – abandoned and badly damaged – within 48 hours of their theft.
Ontario Top 10 Stolen Vehicles – 2019
10. 2018 Toyota 4Runner 4DR 4WD
9. 2005 Chevrolet/GMC Suburban/Yukon Xl 1500 4DR 4WD
8. 2006 Chevrolet/GMC Silverado/Sierra 2500 4WD
7. 2004 Chevrolet/GMC Suburban/Yukon Xl 1500 4DR 4WD
6. 2002 Chevrolet/GMC Tahoe/Yukon 4DR 4WD
5. 2016 Land Rover Range Rover 4DR 4WD
4. 2005 Chevrolet/GMC Tahoe/Yukon 4DR 4WD
3. 2011 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 4DR 4WD
2. 2018 Lexus Rx350/Rx350l/Rx450h/Rx450hl 4DR AWD
1. 2014 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 4DR 4WD
How to Avoid Having your Vehicle Stolen
There are a number of simple car theft prevention methods you can take to help secure your ride.
Always turn off your car and lock it
It doesn’t take long for a thief to steal your car so don’t make it any easier for them. Avoid the temptation of leaving your car running even when running a small errand.
Always take your keys
If you’re brave (or foolish?) enough to leave your car unlocked, do not leave your keys. A dangling set of keys from the ignition is an invitation for theft!
Invest in an anti-theft device
Car alarms are helpful, but they’re just a start. Consider steering wheel locks and protective steering columns, as well as car-disabling locks for the ignition, fuel, and other systems. An installed tracking system can help the police locate your car if it is stolen.
Don’t add identity theft to the mix
Avoid leaving your driver’s license, car registration, or other personal documents of this nature in the vehicle. If a thief steals your ride you don’t want them then having your government ID details as well.
Park in well-lit areas
Visibility is a car thief’s worst enemy. They don’t want to be spotted and identified, so they’re less likely to mess with a car that’s parked under bright lights.
Make your car a towing headache
When parking, turn your wheels toward the curb (unless you’re parked uphill) and pull the handbrake to make your car that much less mobile. This could deter would-be thieves who want to tow your ride away quickly and quietly.
Don’t leave valuables in plain sight
Items like laptop bags, suitcases, and smartphones entice thieves. Keep all valuables in the trunk if you have to leave them in your car.
Despite your best car theft prevention efforts, you never know when thieves can strike. Thankfully, if you fall victim to this crime, your auto insurance has your back.
If you have comprehensive coverage on your policy, you can get reimbursed the cost of your stolen vehicle. And by selecting a loss of use endorsement when purchasing coverage, you can secure a rental car in the meantime so your daily life doesn’t miss a beat. Want to know about your coverage? Let’s chat.